This soup is like your favorite white lasagna all wrapped up into a rich, creamy soup packed full of chicken, veggies, and cheese.
In the fall, this white lasagna soup is one of my favorites and is always added to my weekly menus. It is great because it can be cooked on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or in an instant pot. Great for any weeknight meal.
This soup is loaded with tender chicken, and perfectly cooked noodles, all in a wonderfully cozy bowl of soup.
Ingredients for making white lasagna soup
- Butter I like to use unsalted butter so that I can manage the amount of salt in the soup and add salt as needed.
- Onion and Garlic this is always a great foundation for soups and start a base of flavors.
- Italian seasonings There is a simple blend of Italian seasoning for this recipe, as well as salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. If you don’t have Italian seasoning a mixture of oregano, basil, and thyme.
- chicken broth I use a low-sodium chicken broth to control the salt content in the soup. You can use regular chicken broth, but you might want to lower the salt later in the recipe.
- Chicken breast I use uncooked chicken in this recipe because it will cook in the soup. You can use left-over shredded chicken as well and add it right near the end.
- Lasagna Pasta I like to add small little lasagna noodles (honestly, is there anything cuter?). You can also use any small-sized pasta.
- Cream or half and half Using something with a higher fat content adds to the creaminess and richness of this soup. You can use milk, but it won’t turn out as creamy.
- Cornstarch you will use the cornstarch and add it to your cream or milk to make a slurry to thicken your soup.
- Spinach and broccoli I use fresh or frozen broccoli and spinach in this recipe. I like to add broccoli before the spinach because the spinach cooks quite quickly in hot soup.
- Cheese I finish the soup off with cheese like Mozzarella, parmesan, or Monterey jack any cheese that melts really well.
How to make white lasagna soup
This recipe comes together quite quickly which is why I like it for a weeknight meal.
- Sauté onions and seasonings In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter and add onions until they start to caramelize (turn brown in color). Add in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cooking the seasonings helps to bring out their flavor.
- Add Chicken and cook Add chicken broth and uncooked chicken until chicken is cooked
- Cook Pasta Bring a separate pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until it is al dente. I have cooked it right into the soup, but I find the pasta absorbs a lot of the broth, so if you add it to the soup, just add a little bit more broth.
- Shred Chicken Remove the chicken breast and shred it, then add it back to the soup.
- Slurry Mix together the cream and cornstarch together. add to the soup as well as the pasta, spinach, and broccoli.
- Cheese Serve with cheese and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
What kind of pasta can I use?
You can use any small pasta that you like, I have used bow tie before as well as rotini, and fusilli.
Can I make this gluten-free?
Yes, you can use your favorite gluten-free pasta and you have a gluten-free soup that you can enjoy
Can you use already-cooked chicken?
Yes, I have used chicken from a leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded it, and put it in near the end of the recipe.
How to store white lasagna soup?
Place it in an airtight container and it will be good for 3–4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on low on the stovetop.
White Lasagna Soup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt adjust if your using regular chicken stock
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups dry pasta
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- parmesan for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until just starting to brown.
- Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute
- Add chicken broth and stir well. Then add chicken breasts (uncooked).
- Bring to a simmer and cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- cook the pasta in boiling salted water to al dente.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the soup and shred.
- Whisk together cream and corn starch.
- Stir the shredded chicken, cooked pasta noodles, cream, spinach and broccoli back into the pot and heat through.
- Serve with cheese as desired.