This summer fruit salad is gorgeous in a bowl and unbelievably simple to make. It is made with a variety of fruits like peaches, nectarines, fresh berries, and cherries. a fresh and healthy side dish for all the BBQs and potlucks this summer.
When I think about summertime, I think of hot summer days, farmers’ markets with lots of fresh produce, and, of course, all kinds of salads that can be made ahead because, on those hot summer days, you want to be able to grab and go and not spend a lot of time making a meal on those long days.
Table of Contents
Why you will love this summer fruit salad
- Customizable This recipe has such a great combination of fruit, but if there is a fruit you prefer a little more over another, you can put it in there, like strawberries, mangos, pineapple, or grapes. All tossed together, you have a wonderful fruit salad.
- Seasonal fruit If you’re like me, there is always a lot of fresh fruit available in the summer. Farmers” markets are full of all the fresh fruit you would ever need, and when I have a lot of leftover fruit, I find this salad perfect for this recipe.
- No cooking required Nothing sounds better to me in the summer than those three words: “no cooking required.” Put everything in a bowl, and you’re ready to enjoy a delicious fruit salad.
Ingredients to make Summer Fruit Salad
- Grapes There are a lot of different varieties of grapes to choose from. I personally like to choose a seedless grape; red or green is my favorite. When selecting your grape, you are looking for a firm and plump one; you want to stay away from wrinkly ones.
- Blueberries You want to make sure you select ripe blueberries; they should be a deep blue with a dusting of grey on the surface. If they have a reddish hue to them, they are not fully ripe and may taste a little tart. If you don’t have ripe blueberries, you can always swap them for blackberries or add both; that’s good too.
- Stone fruit I like to use a variety of stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, and cherries. You can use one or two of these to make your favorite combination; feel free to pick the ones you like.
- Lemon or lime juice If you can use fresh citrus like lemon or lime juice, it will give you a more bright and flavorful flavor, but a bottled version will work too. I just find that sometimes it has a bitter aftertaste.
- Orange Juice adds a slight sweetness to the fruit salad, you can use freshly squeezed or use bottled but pulp-free juice.
- Honey for some extra sweetness I like to add a little bit of honey or if you cannot have honey maple syrup is a great alternative.
How to Make Fruit Salad
- Combine all the fruits you want to use in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix everything together until the fruit is evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Mix the fruits and dressing together until everything is evenly distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Tips and Suggestions
- Wash the berries with some vinegar before using them, since you don’t peel off the skin. This solution will make sure the berries are clean.
- Dice the fruit into small bite-sized pieces to make eating the fruit salad easier.
- Make ahead This salad can be made ahead, but not for more than 24 hours.
- Swap fruit for your favorites such as raspberries, peaches, mandarin oranges, tropical fruit, or even fruits from fall like apples or pears. This recipe can be made year-round.
The Best Summer Fruit Salad
- 2 peaches chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 lb strawberries quartered
- 4 oz blackberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh mint leaves optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and lemon juice.
- Combine the fruit together in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and stir until it’s evenly distributed.
- if you use raspberries and blackberries gently stir in at the last.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour, then serve.