This crispy southwest chicken wrap is an easy family weeknight meal and is ready to serve in 20 minutes. It is packed with chicken, lettuce, black beans, cheese, and corn. This is sure to be on your weekly dinner menu.
I always seem to have those days where I have absolutely no idea what to make for supper, and I’m pretty sure this is a pretty common problem.
I like to keep weeknight dinners simple and easy, especially for those busy nights. This recipe comes together very quickly, and it’s something you can make and become an on-the-go kind of meal.
I love how versatile this wrap is: simply add your protein, layer with your favorite vegetables, top with dressing, and serve.
Southwest Chicken Wrap Ingredients
- Chicken: To keep this recipe simple, I like to use frozen crispy breaded chicken breasts and put them in the deep fryer, air fryer, or oven. Or use left over chicken or use grilled chicken, all great options.
- Flour Tortillas: Use your favorite tortilla, flour, whole wheat, protein, low carb, spinach, or sun-dried tomato.
- Lettuce: You can use any lettuce that you have in your fridge. I usually have romaine lettuce, so that is what I use.
- Tomato: I like to use a medium to large-sized tomato, or vine-ripened tomato. If you don’t like tomatoes, this can be an optional item.
- Black Beans: Black beans are a good source of fiber and protein. All you need to do is drain and rinse before you serve.
- Corn: I use frozen corn that has been thawed but you can use canned corn as well.
- Cheddar Cheese: I always have grated cheddar cheese or marble cheese in my fridge ready to be used. Other options are Monterey jack cheese, Colby jack, sharp cheddar, or mozzarella.
- Southwest dressing: I use an already prepared southwest or chipotle dressing because sometimes it is quicker if there is a quick dressing provided as well.
- Mayonnaise: I like to use mayonnaise but you can use sour cream or Greek yogurt as a base to the homemade dressing.
- Milk: Any kind of milk will work for the recipe. I used 2% milk, but that’s just what I always have in my fridge.
- Salsa: I use a store-bought medium heat salsa, but you can use homemade canned salsa or your favorite salsa.
- Taco Seasoning: I use the taco seasoning to add flavor to the dressing. You can use store-bought taco seasoning or make your own taco seasoning.
How to make Southwest chicken wraps
- Preheat Depending on how you are cooking your chicken, you will want to preheat your air fryer, oven, or BBQ.
- Mix In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, milk, salsa, and taco seasoning and set aside.
- Chicken Cook the chicken with your choice of cooking heat source. Once cooked, you can cut it into strips if desired.
- Corn You can warm it up in the microwave, or you can place it in a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil until the corn is lightly browned and warmed.
- Tomato Slice the tomato or you can dice it into small pieces.
- Assembly Place a tablespoon of the southwest dressing on the tortilla. Add romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, and chicken strips, and drizzle a little more dressing on top.
- Roll up Tightly roll up the tortilla and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of Chicken Can I use?
There are a few different options for chicken, frozen breaded, grilled chicken, left over chicken, or bone-less chicken thighs. What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can even use store-bought chicken breast from your local grocery store. There are a few different options for chicken, frozen breaded, grilled chicken, left-over chicken, or bone-less chicken thighs. What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can even use store-bought chicken breast from your local grocery store.
What is the best Tortilla to use?
I think when it comes to tortillas, there are so many different varieties. My favorite to use is a flour tortilla and you can find them in a variety of flavors like spinach, sun dried tomato, cheese, low carb, and protein. I don’t like to use corn tortillas because they fall apart once all the filling is inside. This is why I use flour tortillas.
How to store leftover southwest chicken wraps?
Southwest chicken wrap ingredients are best stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store them in separate containers to prevent them from getting soggy.
Can I make this chicken wrap into a salad?
Yes, if you’re not feeling like having a wrap, you can make a great salad from this wrap. Simply layer lettuce, tomatoes, corn, black beans, cheddar cheese, and chicken. With a drizzle of southwest dressing on top, you have a delicious hearty salad. Yes, if you’re not feeling like having a wrap, you can make a great salad from this wrap. Simply layer lettuce, tomatoes, corn, black beans, cheddar cheese, and chicken. With a drizzle of southwest dressing on top, you have a delicious, hearty salad.
Chicken wrap Variation
- Spread: Try adding cauliflower hummus, chickpea hummus, red pepper hummus, or guacamole.
- More Vegetables: Slice bell pepper or cucumber’s just try and slice them as thinly as possible you can also add shredded coleslaw for an additional crunchy flavor.
- Change the protein: If you are tired of chicken, you can always use pulled pork or roasted sweet potatoes. These make for great alternatives.
The Best Southwest Chicken Wrap
- 12 chicken strips
- 6 tortillas
- 6 pieces romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomato's
- 2 cups corn kernels frozen or canned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1-2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup salsa
- 1-1/2 cups Mayonnaise Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- Preheat oven according to package directions and bake chicken strips. if grilling or cooking in air fryer cook it according to those sources of heat.
- In a small mixing bowl add mayonnaise, milk, salsa, and taco seasoning, . Mix well and set aside.
- Add oil and thawed corn into a small skillet and cook until corn is brown in color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove Chicken from the oven or your heating source and cut into small strips.
- Start assembling your chicken wraps by adding a couple Tbsp. of the southwest dressing to the lower half of the tortilla. Add romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chicken strips, and drizzle more southwest dressing on top.
- Roll up tortilla tightly and serve and Enjoy!