Pumpkin pie overnight oats are like having a nice slice of pumpkin pie, but this is a healthier version that will be easily made and waiting for you for a quick breakfast.
What I like about overnight oats is how easy and delicious they are to make. All you need is a jar and a few simple ingredients. Mix it together and place it in the fridge until the morning. When you have those busy mornings, it’s a quick and easy grab-and-go kind of breakfast, which is great.
What are Overnight Oats?
If overnight oats are something that is new to you, they are pretty much a method of making oatmeal that requires no cooking. If you are used to making oatmeal on the stove or in the microwave, you would skip this step and soak your raw oats with milk. By soaking the oats overnight, they soak up the liquid and become soft so that you can eat them. You really only need to allow them to soak for a minimum of 2 hours, but overnight is best.
In the morning, you will have a creamy bowl or jar of oatmeal. I like to use a jar just for the convenience of it. You will end up with the consistency of porridge or pudding, with some great health benefits.
Why are overnight oats so great?
In the fall and winter months, overnight oats are a staple in my weekly meal prep. Here is why I love them so much.
- Meal prep Overnight is perfect for meal prep. All you need is a few minutes in the evening and you will have breakfast ready to go in the morning. (My mornings are super busy, so grabbing something on the go is ideal).
- Multiple meals You can mix up entire weeks’ worth of breakfasts in just a few minutes (which is ideal because then you know your breakfast is covered all week long.)
- Dietary preferences You can customize overnight oats to your dietary preference by using gluten-free oats or making it vegan. There are many more combinations of overnight oats, but this recipe will cover the pumpkin combination. Once you try them, you will want to try other combinations too.
- Healthy or Decadent When it comes to overnight oats, you are in control of how healthy or decadent you want them to be. You can reduce the amount of sugar by using honey or maple syrup or any other sweetener you prefer. For some additional health benefits, mix in your favorite protein powder with a super food like hemp seeds or my favorite, chia seeds. There are so many possibilities when it comes to add-ins.
The ingredients are simple to find and you probably already have them in your pantry.
- Old fashioned rolled oats Use old-fashioned oats, not quick oats.
- Milk Use any type of non-dairy milk or regular milk. I like to use almond milk or coconut milk.
- Yogurt You can use any type of yogurt, non-dairy or regular. This is an optional ingredient, but it gives the oats a thicker and creamier consistency.
- Pumpkin puree Be sure to use unsweetened canned pumpkin. You do not want to use pumpkin pie filling here because it has sugar already added. You can use your favourite brand of pumpkin puree or use homemade pumpkin puree.
- Pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon These are the must-haves for pumpkin pie flavor. You can buy pumpkin spice or you can make your own blend. You can add a little extra cinnamon if you like the flavour too. I like to add a little dash for a more cinnamon flavor.
- Maple syrup This sweetener is the best because of its liquid consistency. If you want to reduce the sugar or use a different alternative sweetener, you can use honey, coconut sugar, or agave nectar. All work well for sweetening.
- Vanilla Add a dash of pure vanilla for a little sweeter flavor.
- Chia Seeds These seeds add a bit of fiber and protein and are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. I love adding them to overnight oats for an additional soft texture. They also help absorb some of the liquid to create a thicker consistency.
How to make Pumpkin overnight oats
- Mix wet ingredients In a bowl, mix together yoghurt of your choice (or if you’re not using yogurt, skip that portion), almond milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and maple syrup. If you are making a single, you can mix it in a jar. If you are making a larger batch, I would suggest mixing it in a larger bowl and then dividing it into individual jars or containers.
- Dry Ingredients Add the dry ingredients, oats, spices, and chia seeds to the wet ingredients.
- Refrigerate & Enjoy In this step, you want to put everything into your jars or containers and place them in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. Once ready in the morning, enjoy!
Variations for pumpkin overnight oats
This recipe is great on its own, but you can always add a few things and change it up a little bit with a few of these options.
- Almond butter stir in a spoonful of almond butter and if you are wanting a nut free option try sunflower butter or pumpkin butter.
- Cocoa powder add a tablespoon of cocoa powder or cacao powder and then you will create chocolate pumpkin overnight oats.
- Protein powder use your favorite protein powder to make this a high protein breakfast.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are overnight oats healthy? Are they good for weight loss?
Overnight oatmeal is a healthy breakfast choice since it is high fiber and low calorie and can be included in a weight loss journey because it is slow digesting, which helps you remain full for several hours versus cereal or bagels, which is fast digesting.
Does canned pumpkin have to be cooked?
Canned pumpkin does not require cooking because it has already been steamed and purred before being packaged. so you can consume it directly from the can.
The Best Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats not quick oats
- ½ cup milk non dairy or regular
- ¼ cup yogurt non dairy or regular
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Add rolled oats, milk, yogurt (optional), pumpkin puree, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon (optional), to a jar. Mix ingredients together, then seal with a lid.
- Store oats in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- The next morning (or whenever you are ready to eat), remove the lid and stir the oats. If desired, add a splash of milk to thin the consistency.
- Enjoy the oats directly out of the jar or transfer them to a bowl. Add any toppings of your choosing, like chopped pecans, whipped cream, yogurt, and granola. Enjoy!