Magic bars are easy to make and will not last long! Also known as “Hello Dolly” bars, they are made with a buttery graham cracker crust and topped with layers of chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk.
These Cookie bars go by a few different names like 7 layer bars or hello dolly but I have always known them as Magic bars. They are my families favorite and when I ask my husband what treat he wants for Christmas it is always these bars which are a perfect mix of gooey, crunchy and salty. Which in my opinion there is nothing better then that combination.
These bars can definitely be made any time of the year but for me it’s a Christmas treat that we all love and if you haven’t had it before you will love them after just one bite.
This recipe is really very simple to make and comes together quick. Here is the list of ingredients, but feel free to mix up the nuts, chocolate chips, and cookie crumbs to whatever your preference is.
- Butter You will be melting the butter to bind the graham crackers together to make a crust.
- Graham cracker crumbs your can buy graham crackers already made into crumbs or crush your own in a Ziplock bags.
- Coconut I think the shredded coconut really adds to the sweetness and the texture in this recipe
- Nuts Pecans are very good since they have their own sweetness, but walnuts or even hazel nuts are good too.
- Chocolate Chips I like to us a mixture of white chocolate, milk chocolate or semi chocolate but feel free to use one or the other or all of them
- Sweetened Condensed Milk this is the key to a sweet, chewy, gooey bar cookie this is a must have in this cookie bar.
How to make magic bars
- Prepare pan preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or with parchment paper.
- Bake Crust melt butter and stir in graham cracker crumbs until combined. Press into the bottom of 9×13 inch baking pan to form the crust of this cookie bar.
- Add the layers Sprinkle evenly the remaining ingredients, one by one, over the crust to form the layers, starting with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and milk chocolate chips, followed by coconut, walnuts, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown and set in the middle. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Magic Bar Recipe
- 1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chip
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- ½ cup walnut chopped
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in graham cracker crumbs until throughly combined. Press into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan to form the crust.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining ingredients one by one over the crust to form layers, beginning with the chocolate chips, followed by the white chocolate and milk chocolate chips, coconut, and walnuts. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the top, and spread with a rubber spatula to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown and the middle is set.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!