These mushroom caps are filled with flaked crab, cream cheese, garlic, and parmesan and baked before serving, making them perfect for your holiday entertainment.
These mushroom caps are simply amazing and make a great, easy appetizer for any holiday table. I have been making these since I was very young. I think when I first started making them, we would make them in the microwave, but now I always put them in the oven. You can make them ahead, and then all you need to do is place them in the oven, which is nice when the holiday season is busy.
Why We Love These Stuffed Mushrooms
- Easy to make with canned crab and perfect for any holiday party or special occasion.
- This recipe can be made in advance and baked before serving.
- Stuffed mushrooms can be made ahead, frozen, and cooked right from the freezer for your guests.
- Great as an appetizer or side dish with marinated steak.
- Mushrooms I like to use regular white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
- Garlic powder I like to use garlic powder instead of minced garlic so that you don’t get minced garlic in your small bite.
- Crab I like to use canned crab for this recipe.
- Parsley Fresh or frozen works great for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese Full fat or low fat at room temperature is best.
- Parmesan Cheese I like to sprinkle a little bit of on top of each mushroom cap.
How to clean Mushrooms for stuffing
When choosing the right mushroom, my preference is a brown or white button mushroom. Choose a medium-sized to small mushroom; you want something that you can fill but not too big; you want a one- or two-bite-sized appetizer.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean up the outside of the mushrooms. I don’t like to soak mushrooms in water for too long because they will absorb the water. If they need a quick rinse, that’s okay, but make sure to wipe them dry. Some mushrooms are dirtier than others, so some need a little more cleaning.
- Once your mushrooms are nice and clean, snap off the stems and use a small spoon to remove the gills to create a deeper cavity for your filling. Be careful while cleaning the gills out because they will split and tear, and then you’re not left with a very nice-looking mushroom shell.
The Best Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 mushrooms
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 ounces crab canned or frozen
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Drain canned crab if your using frozen allow it to thaw.
- Pre heat 350 °F
- Mix cream cheese until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove any debris. Using a small spoon, remove stems and spoon out the insides of the mushroom.
- Divide the filling over the mushroom caps. sprinkle parmesan cheese over mushrooms.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until cooked through and tops are golden.