This blueberry lemonade is refreshing in the summer; it’s sweet and tart, and it’s made from scratch using an easy blueberry syrup.
This blueberry lemonade is so simple to make that you only need a few simple ingredients. Make a simple syrup or puree and mix it with some lemon and water. Then you have a great, refreshing summer beverage. An added bonus is that it looks gorgeous in a glass or pitcher.
Blueberry lemonade ingredients needed
I like to make homemade summer beverages like this lemonade or sun tea because I can control the quality and quality of the ingredients.
- Water: You will need water for simple syrup or puree and for the lemonade as well. I like to use nice clean water that is very cold so that it can be enjoyed more quickly.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen will work well for this recipe. Whichever you have available, I rarely have fresh blueberries available, so I generally use frozen, but either works.
- Sugar: I use granulated sugar to sweeten the syrup for this recipe.
- Lemons: Depending on how tangy you like your lemonade, you can use anywhere between 3-5 lemons.
- Ice cubes: this is for serving with your lemonade
There are two different options for the syrup; making a puree or making a simple syrup. Both options work great and are quick to put together.
How to make puree
To make the puree, first place the blueberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a blender. Blend on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until the blueberries are smooth and pureed.
Next, strain the blueberry puree through a fine sieve so that you can remove all of the skin and seeds. If you don’t mind the skins and seeds in your lemonade, you can skip this step.
How to make simple syrup
To make a simple syrup, first use a pan and bring 1 cup of water to a boil with blueberries, sugar and lemon zest. Allow low simmer until sugar is dissolved and the liquid slightly thickens. Strain the liquid and allow to cool.
Mix it together
Pour the blueberry puree or simple syrup in a pitcher with lemon juice and add 3 cups of water. Stir, chill, and serve over ice.
This recipe can be made with different fruits or even different sweeteners and can even become an alcoholic version if you so choose.
- Use another berry or fruit: Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, pineapple, mango or peaches can be put in place of the blueberries to make your lemonade.
- Swap the sweeteners: Swap the sugar for another sweetener like honey or maple syrup and add that too your puree or simple syrup.
- Make it sparkly: to make this a sparkling drink add carbonated water
The Best Blueberry Lemonade
- 4 cups water divided
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Place the blueberries, sugar and 1 cup water in a blender. Blend on medium-high speed for about 1 minute, until the blueberries are completely pureed. Strain the blueberry puree through a fine mesh sieve
Blueberry simple syrup
- Lemon simple syrup: In a medium pan over medium-high heat, bring 1 cup water, blueberries, sugar, lemon zest strips to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sugar is dissolved and liquid is syrupy, about 5-8 minutes. Mash the berries gently before straining to release the juices. Strain and refrigerate syrup until needed.
- Combine the blueberry puree or simple syrup with lemon juice and the remaining 3 cups of water. Add more water, if desired. Stir well, and chill. Serve over ice.