This strawberry sauce is easy. With just three ingredients, you will have a great sauce to go over pancakes, ice cream, or cheesecake.
This strawberry sauce is great over pancakes, waffles, pie, cheesecake, trifle, and ice cream there are so many options for this sauce. The lemon balances the sweetness and makes the strawberry more pronounced and gives a burst of strawberry flavor
How to clean fresh strawberries
If you are using fresh strawberries, you should always wash them before eating, especially if you are buying them from a farmers’ market or from the grocery store. Unwashed fresh berries or even produce can have dirt or pesticide residue on the fruit’s skin. Here are a few different methods on cleaning your fresh strawberries.
- Simple sink rinse: This is a simple and quick way to wash your strawberries. Place your strawberries in a colander and run them under cold water. Rub each strawberry gently to remove any dirt that might be sticking to your delicious strawberry. Pat your strawberries dry with a paper towel and they are ready to use in any recipe for strawberry sauce, strawberry rhubarb pie or strawberry cobbler.
- Vinegar wash: If you are buying your strawberries from a grocery store, they are probably commercially produced and will be sprayed with pesticides. The best way to clean the pesticides off of the strawberries is to soak them in vinegar. Mix four parts water with one part vinegar and then let it soak for 20 minutes. Then rinse the strawberries with cold water to clean off the vinegar and pat dry.
- Baking soda rinse: Sometimes you might not have vinegar on hand. You can soak your strawberries in baking soda and water. Add one teaspoon of baking soda to four cups of water and let it soak for five minutes, and then rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Saltwater rinse: Using salt water to clean your strawberries works really well for fruit flues that like the inside of organic fruit. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt for every cup of warm water you’re using. Allow the water to cool completely and then soak for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
What you need
- Fresh or frozen strawberries: hulled and halved
- Cornstarch & Water: Mix cornstarch and water together to create a slurry. Make sure it is mixed together well or you will have little white lumps of uncooked cornstarch in your sauce and that doesn’t make your sauce very smooth.
- Lemon juice and zest: the lemon juice brings out the strawberry flavor even more. You don’t really taste the lemon, but it brightens up the flavor of the strawberry.
- Sugar: There is just enough sugar in the strawberry sauce to sweeten it but not take away from the great strawberry flavor.
How to Make Strawberry Sauce
This recipe is great because it comes together in about 10 minutes and is a chunkier style strawberry sauce. I will make it while I’m making waffles or pancakes, and it will be ready before the pancakes are done.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together until it is combined (don’t want any lumps in the strawberry sauce).
- Place strawberries into a medium saucepan and mash a little bit with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. This will help release the wonderful strawberry juice and help it breakdown.
- Add in your corn-starch slurry with your strawberries
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. You will find it starts to thicken quickly.
- Remove from the heat and allow strawberries to cool
- 1 sauce pan
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 lb. strawberries
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- ¼ cup sugar
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together until all the cornstarch has dissolved. I just mix it with a fork in a small measuring cup and its quick and easy
- Put strawberries into a saucepan and break up some of the fruit using a wooden spoon or spatula. you don't want to mash them too much you still want to have a chunky mixture.
- Bring it to a simmer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. After 5 minutes, remove pan from the heat and allow to cool. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- You can serve it warm or allow it too cool and refrigerate for up to a week.