This excellent Crockpot or slow cooker Chili recipe is hearty, delicious, and wonderful for cooler weather! (Here in Canada, we have quite a lot of colder winter weather.) This dish is really simple to prepare and ideal for piling on all of your favorite toppings! This dish has been used for dinner, potlucks, and even chili fries.
This classic chili is ideal for a weeknight supper or a hectic weekend feast since it can be prepared ahead of time and then set aside. Without a question, this is one of my husband’s favorite meals. We are a family of chili enthusiasts. Despite the fact that the girls dislike tomatoes, they enjoy good chili.
To dig into the chili, I always serve Cornbread or Soda Bread on the side. In my perspective, there’s nothing better than dipping a piece of bread into a chili, soup, or stew to soak up the flavor.
The Five Best Ways to Eat Chili
One of my favorite things about chili is how adaptable it is, especially as a main meal. Here are a few chili ideas that may be made in a slow cooker. You can create additional chili if you want. There are always leftovers in my house. I occasionally freeze it for a quick dinner. Here are a few suggestions for you.
- Chili on Fries
- Chili on a Baked Potato
- Chili over Nachos
- Chili on top of Hot Dogs
- Create a Taco Salad with Chili
What you will Need
This slow cooker recipe is one of my favorites for weeknight meals. It works well in a slow cooker or on the stovetop, and it comes together quickly. What I appreciate about a slow cooker is that I can cook the ground beef ahead of time and then dump everything in and forget about it until dinnertime. Let’s get started with the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
· Ground Beef and/ or Italian sausage You can combine both or one will do, you will need 2 pounds.
· Yellow Onion chopped
· Red pepper seeded and chopped. You can use any color you prefer, green or yellow.
· Garlic Cloves minced
· Beans I like to use kidney beans but you can use mixtures such as pinto beans or black beans
· Tomatoes canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste
· Worcestershire adds some more depth of flavor
· Beef Broth This will give you the consistency you are looking for with chili.
· Spice chili, smoked paprika, ground cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
· Brown Sugar you won’t taste the sweetness, it just helps with the acidity of the tomatoes
· Cocoa will give you a really nice dark red color and give you some richness and depth of flavor
The Best Chili Toppings
The toppings are the first thing that comes to mind when I think of chili. As a general principle, I don’t believe there is such a thing as too many toppings. I believe you could add it on top of your chili if you placed it in a taco or a burrito. Here are a couple of ideas:
· Sour cream
· Green onions
· Avocado (avocado give you a little bit of a creamy texture)
· Red Onion
· Tortilla chips (i love a little bit a crunchy element)
I think the possibilities are endless, but this gets you started.
How to Make Slow-Cooker Chili
It doesn’t get any easier than this when it comes to making chili in the slow cooker. It’s as easy as frying the meat and onions, then loading the slow cooker with all of the canned goods and a few seasonings and turning it on. You can sauté and slow cook in the same pot if you have a multicooker or Instant Pot with a slow cooker mode. When I get home, I’ll just toss everything into the Instant Pot, set it to soup/chili, and cook it for 20 minutes. Dinner is served! Setting it to slow cooker mode works great as well.
In a skillet, brown the beef and onions, then add the garlic and spices.
Combine the remaining ingredients, including rinsed and drained beans, diced tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce.
Cover and simmer on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours in a slow cooker, then season to taste.
If you choose to use the Multicooker or Instant Pot you can do this all in the same Pot. Starting with Sauté button browning your meat with the onions, and then garlic and spices. Once the meat is browned add the rest of the ingredients. Press the soup or chili button this function all depends on your multicooker or instant pot and set it for 20 minutes.
Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
- 1 slowcooker
- 2 lbs Ground Beef you can use combo of beef and Italian sausages
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 can Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Pinto or Black Beans
- 29 oz Canned Tomatoes
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne this is too your spice level add less if you want it less spicy
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cocoa
- Brown the ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until mostly cooked through.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic and stir to combine. Cooking over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a 6 quart crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add the kidney and black or pinto beans.
- Top with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Next add the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper , cocoa and sugar). Stir to combine
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips, etc.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram or Facebook #tiannaskitchen