These ground chicken burgers can be grilled or pan-fried; they are juicy, delicious, and made from scratch. Add all your favorite toppings for the perfect summer burger.
For us, summer means juicy burgers piled high with our favorite toppings, and sometimes we want an alternative to beef burgers. That’s when we make these delicious chicken burgers. We like to pile them high with all kinds of toppings and serve them with a few sides. They are easy to make with a few ingredients, only take 10 minutes to prep, and are ready to be grilled or pan-fried.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Crowd pleaser Not everyone wants a beef burger, but I like to have these as an option because they are loved by just about everyone.
- Healthy Burger ground chicken is lower in fat and is over 30 grams of protein per serving than hamburger, but can be just as delicious when done right.
- Freezer Friendly you can double or triple the batch and place them in the freezer until you’re ready to use them great for the hot summer days.
- No resting time The burger is made in less than 7 minutes and doesn’t require a resting time so can be eaten right off the grill.
Ingredients for chicken burgers
- Ground Chicken The star of the burger is ground turkey. You want to use good-quality ground chicken or turkey.
- Greek Yogurt This is my secret ingredient for successfully achieving moist and flavorful burgers. You can swap it for eggs or mayo, but the texture isn’t exactly the same.
- Panko Bread Crumbs I like to use panko bread crumbs to help bind the burger together; you can also use a gluten-free bread crumb here too.
- Garlic This will boost the flavor of the burger. I like to use minced garlic, but you can also use garlic powder.
- Olive oil This is another way of adding moisture to this burger.
- Worcestershire sauce This is a great way to add additional flavoring and will take your burger to the next level.
- Paprika I like to add this spice for a light hint of smokiness or use hot paprika for a hint of spice.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Brioche bun You will want a few burger buns. I like a brioche or a Hawaiian bun, but you can use your favorite bun for burgers here.
- Freshly sliced avocado
- Pickled red onions
- Caramelized onions
- Sliced cheese
How to make Ground Chicken Burger
- Make chicken burger In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, Greek garlic, salt and pepper, bread crumbs, olive oil, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Use your hands to divide the mixture into 4 or 6 portions and shape them into patties.
- Grill or pan fry cook for about 10 minutes on each side until the internal temperature in the patties reaches 165°F/74°C.
- Assemble remove the chicken burgers from your chosen heat source and add to burger buns and then top with your desired toppings.
Pro Tips for successful Chicken burgers
- Oil the heat source If you’re frying it in a pan or cooking it on the grill, you want to oil the pan with olive oil or cooking spray on the grill because chicken burgers don’t have as much fat as beef burgers and have a tendency to stick to the grill without some extra oil. You can also brush oil directly onto the chicken patties.
- Watch as they cook Depending on the thickness or size of the burgers, they may need more or less time to cook. The best way to know if they are completely cooked is to use a digital meat thermometer, and once they have reached 165°F (74°C), remove them and enjoy!
- Avoid over-mixing These burgers are a lot easier to combine because of the ground chicken, so it can be quite easy to mix the mixture, and the end result is a dense and chewy burger patty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make chicken burgers ahead of time?
Yes, I actually think it’s a little bit better if you make them a day ahead and store them in the fridge, and then the next day just allow them to sit out and reach room temperature.
How do you prevent a dry chicken patty?
It’s very easy to dry out a chicken patty. So to have a juicy and moist chicken burger, you want to watch them very carefully. The average time is around 4-5 minutes on each side. The best way to not overcook is to use a digital thermometer once it has reached 165°F (74°C). It’s finished cooking and ready to be assembled.
Can I make them using ground Turkey?
Yes, turkey is perfect if you’re not wanting to use chicken. The chicken burger recipe works well with lean ground turkey as well.
Easy Ground Chicken Burger
- 4 burger buns
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Combine all the ingredients for the chicken patties leaving out the oil, in a large bowl. Set that aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the chicken mixture into four large parts, then shape them into patties. Or make six slightly smaller (medium-sized) patties.
- Heat the cast iron skillet or grill to medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Then, place the chicken patties in the pan and cook on both sides until the patties are thoroughly cooked, around 8-10 minutes. If you’re using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should reach 170℉.
- Assemble the chicken burgers with your favorite burger rolls and plenty of toppings and enjoy!