These rich butterscotch brownies are chewy, fudgy, and all made in one bowl with hardly any effort. They will become your family’s new favorite.
There is a reason why these are my favorite desserts; they are so simple to make and require very little time to cool down. So if you have a craving for something sweet, they will be ready to eat in less than an hour, with no mixer required for me. That’s what makes this sweet dessert so wonderful.
Then there is the surprise these little squares have hidden inside; they are a dense brownie but also nicely soft and chewy at the same time, and let’s not forget they are loaded with butterscotch chips.
Table of Contents
What is the difference between a blondie and a brownie?
The main difference between a blondie and a brownie is the chocolate. Blondies are made without cocoa powder and have a more vanilla base rather than a deep chocolate flavor. If you’re looking for a chocolatey brownie, try this recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
- Unsalted butter This is one of the key ingredients in these brownies to help achieve the ooey-gooeyness. Be sure to use unsalted or salted butter and not margarine.
- Brown sugar The second key ingredient is what sweetens your brownies; use light or dark brown sugar, depending on the color you are wanting to achieve.
- Eggs are used to help bind everything together; if you’re looking for an alternative, you can use flax eggs.
- Vanilla Extract Use the best quality possible; I like to make my own pure vanilla, but you can use anything that’s available to you.
- All-purpose flour As the base of almost every baked good, I use all-purpose flour because it is readily available and costs less in larger quantities.
- Baking powder You don’t need a lot of this leavening agent, but you do need a little bit to help the brownies rise.
- Salt will help balance the sweetness of the butterscotch brownies. If you choose salted butter, then you will want to omit the salt.
- Chips You can use various chips; butterscotch, semisweet, or white chocolate chips all work well here.
- Chopped nuts The nuts are optional, but I find they add a nice crunch to this chewy treat. I prefer walnuts or pecans.
How to make Butterscotch Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Blend together melted butter, and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl or in a bowl on a stand-up mixer.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in your choice of chips and nuts (if you are using them), and using a wooden spoon, mix them together. The batter will be thick, just as you want it.
- Transfer the batter using a rubber spatula and spread it evenly in your prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10–15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
- Serve slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream and a nice warm beverage
Pro Tips and Suggestions
- Room Temperature Butter You want to make sure the eggs and butter have reached room temperature so that everything will blend nice and smooth.
- Don’t Over Bake the brownies You want the edges to start to pull away from the sides; the middle will look undercooked, but it will continue to cook as it cools.
- Pack your brown sugar When you measure the brown sugar, make sure you pack it really well so that you get great flavor and moisture.
- Let Butter Cool After you have melted the butter, allow it to sit for 5 minutes so that you don’t have issues with the egg mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are they supposed to be gooey?
There are two options when it comes to these brownies: you can bake them until they have a cookie-like texture, or you can leave them a little bit underdone for a fudgey and soft feel.
What do they taste like?
I think when it comes to taste, they remind me of something between a cookie and a brownie or blondie, and then you have hints of brown sugar and vanilla.
How long will they keep for?
Once they have completely cooled, place them in a sealed container, and they will keep for 3 days at room temperature. They can also be frozen and stored for up to two months. I personally like them slightly warmed, so you can quickly place them in the microwave, and they are just like they came out of the oven again.
Easy Butterscotch Blondie
- 1 Stand Up Mixer optional
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter and sugars. Stir well to combine
- Stir in eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract until completely combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in chips of your choice.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 22 to 27 minutes or until an inserted toothpick near the edge comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
love these butterscotch brownies that are fudge or chocolate! light and sweetly decadent!
These were delicious! A great change from chocolate brownies!
Yum! These easy butterscotch brownies look amazing. I love the easy to follow recipe and butterscotch is one of my favorites. Can’t wait to make a batch!
The butter soctch brownies tasted delightful. Made some for a friend who much needed love, and will make again a million times.
Yum! These look delicious. I don’t have a good recipe for butterscotch brownies yet. I love the basic ingredients and simple instructions. Thank you for sharing!
OMG can’t wait to make these delicious looking butterscotch brownies! butterscotch has to be one of my most favorite flavors. Thanks for sharing!
I’ve heard a lot about brownies. This one looks amazingly delicious. Awesome recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!
these butterscotch brownies are incredible! Super easy to make with the perfect butterscotch flavor.
I’ve never heard of butterscotch brownies but these look delicious! Can’t wait to try this out.