This yogurt parfait is a quick breakfast, dessert, or snack that starts with creamy Greek yogurt and layers of granola and fresh berries.
I’m not always good at eating breakfast just because the morning goes by so quickly, but I do find that having a quick option to put together does help make breakfast a little easier. Of course, when I have the time, I like to make a huge breakfast, but that doesn’t seem to be in my schedule in the morning. This is why I make oat flour muffins, egg cups, smoothies, and this simple yet delicious parfait.
Ingredients for the yogurt parfait
- Berries Fresh berries are best; wash, dry, and cut depending on the size of your berries.
- Yogurt Vanilla Greek yogurt is what I use in this recipe my favorite brand is either Liberté or Oikos, but plain yogurt or plant-based yogurt works well too.
- Granola Having granola adds a great additional texture; use your favorite granola or make your own.
- Honey This is optional. I like to drizzle a little on top of the fruit.
How to make a yogurt parfait
- Wash and dry Rinse and pat dry the berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Layer the yogurt parfait in a glass cup or mason jar, and layer the yogurt, berries, and granola. You can layer as much as you would like into each layer; I use between 12 and 1 cup of yogurt, berries, and granola. If you have room, you can repeat your layers.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Clear Cups Using clear cups makes it more visually appealing; it’s nice to be able to see all of the layers in the parfait.
- Pat your berries dry You want to make sure your berries have been patted dry, or they will make your granola soggy.
- Break up any granola Sometimes when you have granola, it can clump together, so try and break it up so that it lays flat in your layers.
- Cold yogurt You want to make sure you start with cold yogurt; if it’s at room temperature, it will start to run into the other layers.
Add-ins and substitutions
- Sweeten with a drizzle of honey, maple syrup, or sweetened shredded coconut
- Nuts chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, peanuts, or almonds
- Chocolate mini chocolate chips, or shaved dark chocolate
- Other toppings are chia seeds, hemp seeds, peanut butter, dried cranberries, or any other fruit you choose.
Frequently Ask Questions
Is a yogurt parfait healthy?
It really depends on what you’re adding to your parfait and whether you’re using plain yogurt or yogurt with additives and sugar, but overall, I would say they are on the healthier side.
Will the granola in yogurt get soggy?
Yes, if you add the granola ahead of time, it will get soggy. If you want to avoid having the granola be soggy, you can add it before you serve, or you can place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the assembled parfait and then add the granola.
Should I use fresh or frozen berries for a yogurt parfait?
You can use either fresh or frozen; frozen will create a syrup as they thaw, which does not make the layers look as pretty but does add a natural sweetness. You can use fresh if you’re serving it to a large group of people and having nice layers is important.
Can yogurt parfaits be made ahead?
Yes, I like to make them ahead as an easy breakfast option. As a meal prep for the week, on Sunday afternoon I will make a batch and then serve them over the next couple of days. They keep well refrigerated for 2–3 days.
How to make Yogurt Parfait
- 2 cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt or plain yogurt, flavored yogurt or plant based yogurt
- 2 cup Berries stawberries, blueberries or blackberries
- 2 cups granola
- honey for drizzling optional
- Rinse and pat dry the blueberries and strawberries. Cut the strawberries into pieces.
- Layer yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, and granola in a glass cup or mason jar that you can see the nice layers in your cup.You can layer as much of each ingredient as you please. It's really a personal preference. This is how I layer it: 1/4 to 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 to1/2 cup strawberries, 1/4 to1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4-1/2 cup granola.
- Place in the refridgerator until your ready to serve and ENJOY