Indulge in homemade Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup, a taste reminiscent of Olive Garden’s famous dish. Simple to make with fresh or leftover chicken, on the stove or in a crock pot!
Delight in the homely goodness of Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup, a reminiscent journey inspired by the beloved Olive Garden classic. Crafting this comforting dish is effortlessly easy, making it a perfect choice for both beginners and seasoned cooks alike. Gather fresh or leftover chicken, soft gnocchi, and pantry staples to embark on a culinary adventure that promises maximum flavor with minimal effort.
Whether opting for a quick stove top preparation or a slow-cooked crock pot version, the star of this show is the rich and creamy broth that envelops the gnocchi and chicken in a comforting embrace. The kitchen will be filled with the savory aroma, setting the stage for a dining experience that is both heartwarming and satisfying.
Each spoonful of this soup is a harmonious fusion of textures and flavors, providing a delightful escape into the realm of comfort food. Perfect for a cozy evening alone or a gathering of loved ones, this Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup guarantees to be a fail-safe crowd-pleaser. Elevate your home dining with this simple yet decadent creation, promising warmth, and flavor that will establish it as a beloved favorite in your culinary repertoire.
Table of Contents
Reasons to love Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Comfort: One of the primary reasons to love Chicken Gnocchi Soup is its creamy and velvety texture. The luscious broth, combined with tender chunks of chicken and soft gnocchi, provides a comforting and indulgent experience with every spoonful.
- Versatility: This soup offers a versatile canvas for culinary creativity. Whether using fresh or leftover chicken, or experimenting with additional herbs and spices, it adapts to various preferences and can easily become a personal culinary masterpiece.
- Ease of Preparation: Perfect for both novice and experienced cooks, Chicken Gnocchi Soup is remarkably easy to make. With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, it’s a go-to soup for a delicious and hassle-free homemade meal.
- Homemade Goodness: Capture the essence of a homemade meal with this soup. The aroma that fills your kitchen as it simmers on the stove or in the crock pot adds an extra layer of warmth and satisfaction, making it more than just a dish—it’s a culinary experience.
- Hearty and Filling: Packed with chicken, gnocchi, and often vegetables, this soup is a hearty and filling option for any meal. It leaves you satisfied and content, making it an ideal choice for a comforting lunch or dinner.
- Family-Friendly Appeal: Loved by both adults and children, Chicken Gnocchi Soup has a universal appeal. Its mild yet flavorful profile makes it a family-friendly option that can please even the pickiest eaters.
Ingredients needed for Creamy Chicken Gnocchi
- Chicken: Tender and cooked to perfection, chicken adds a protein-packed element to the soup.
- Gnocchi: Soft, pillowy potato dumplings that contribute a delightful and hearty texture. I like to use packaged gnocchi as a time saver.
- Chicken Broth: The flavorful base of the soup, providing a comforting and savory essence.
- Cream: Adds richness and creaminess to the broth, enhancing the overall texture and taste.
- Vegetables: Typically includes carrots, celery, and spinach for a balanced and nutritious profile.
- Garlic: Infuses a subtle yet aromatic flavor, elevating the taste of the entire dish.
- Onion: Provides a savory and slightly sweet undertone to the soup.
- Italian Seasoning: A blend of herbs like oregano, thyme, and basil that imparts a Mediterranean flair.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning, enhancing the flavors of the ingredients.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing and adds a hint of richness to the soup.
- Parmesan Cheese (optional): Grated on top for a finishing touch, adding a cheesy and savory note.
- Fresh Parsley (optional): Chopped and sprinkled for a burst of fresh herb flavor and vibrant color.
How to make Chicken Gnocchi
- Prepare Ingredients:Dice chicken into bite-sized pieces. Chop carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. If using fresh spinach, wash and chop.
- Sauté Aromatics: Heat olive oil in a pot. Sauté garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Cook Chicken: Add diced chicken and cook until browned.
- Add Vegetables: Stir in carrots and celery, cooking until slightly softened.
- Pour Broth: Pour in chicken broth, bringing the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add Gnocchi: Drop in gnocchi, cooking until they float to the surface.
- Introduce Spinach: If using fresh spinach, add it to the pot, letting it wilt.
- Creamy Touch: Pour in the cream, stirring to create a rich and creamy consistency.
- Season: Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Adjust to taste. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls. Optionally, garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Serve hot and savor the comforting goodness of your homemade Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Spinach!
Slow Cooker Cooking Option
- sauté garlic and onion in olive oil in a skillet until softened. Add diced chicken and cook until browned. Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker.
- Place diced chicken, sautéed aromatics (if used), carrots, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, and gnocchi in the slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4–6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the fresh chopped spinach, letting it wilt in the warm soup.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Optionally, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Serve hot and relish the comforting delight of your homemade Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Spinach, slow-cooked to perfection.
- Mushroom Magic: Sauté sliced mushrooms along with garlic and onion for an earthy flavor boost.
- Spice it Up: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce for a hint of heat.
- Herb Infusion: Experiment with fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or basil for added fragrance and depth.
- Vegetarian Twist: Skip the chicken and use vegetable broth for a delightful vegetarian version.
- Coconut Cream Dream: Replace heavy cream with coconut cream for a tropical and dairy-free alternative.
- Roasted Garlic Elegance: Roast garlic cloves before adding them to the soup for a milder, slightly sweet flavor.
- Grainy Goodness: Substitute gnocchi with other pasta varieties like tortellini or farfalle for a unique texture.
Tips and Suggestions
- Prep Ahead: Chop vegetables, dice chicken, and measure out ingredients beforehand for a smoother cooking process.
- Homemade Chicken Broth: If time permits, use homemade chicken broth for a richer flavor. Otherwise, opt for a high-quality store-bought version.
- Rotisserie Chicken Shortcut: Save time by using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Simply shred and add it to the soup during the final stages of cooking.
- Gnocchi Cooking Time: Be mindful of the gnocchi cooking time. Overcooking can lead to mushiness, so follow the package instructions for best results.
- Fresh vs. Frozen Spinach: If fresh spinach isn’t available, frozen spinach works well too. Thaw and drain excess water before adding it to the soup.
- Adjust Consistency: If the soup is too thick, add more broth. If it’s too thin, let it simmer uncovered for a bit longer to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Season Gradually: Taste the soup as you season and adjust accordingly. It’s easier to add more seasoning later than to fix an overly salty dish.
- Garnish Creatively: Experiment with various garnishes. Try a dollop of pesto, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for added flair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts?
Absolutely! Chicken thighs can be used as a flavorful alternative to chicken breasts. Ensure they are boneless and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the slow cooker, adjusting the consistency with additional broth if needed.
Can I freeze the soup?
While the soup can be frozen, consider leaving out the gnocchi and adding it fresh when reheating. Freezing can alter the texture of gnocchi upon thawing.
How do I prevent the cream from curdling in the slow cooker?
To avoid curdling, add the cream towards the end of the cooking time and stir gently. Using heavy cream with a higher fat content may also help prevent curdling.
Comforting Indulgent Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 slow cooker optional
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Chicken breast
- 1 pkg gnocchi
- 6 cup Chicken broth
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 Celery stalks diced
- 2 cup Fresh spinach chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese Optional, for garnish
- Fresh parsley Chopped, optional, for garnish
- Add chicken, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, bring to a boil, then gently stir in gnocchi. Boil for 3–4 minutes longer before reducing heat to a simmer and cooking for 10 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream or half-and-half and spinach and cook another 1–2 minutes until spinach is tender. Taste, add salt and pepper if needed, and serve.