This chicken burrito bowl is loaded with chicken, rice, and black beans with a variety of toppings, great for lunch or dinner.
The burrito bowl is packed with veggies, rice, and chicken, and you can change the toppings to whatever you want or love in a taco or burrito. What my family loves the most about this recipe is that it is so versatile that we could literally have it for dinner every night and never get tired of it.
Table of Contents
What Is a burrito bowl?
Let me explain what a burrito bowl is—typically the burrito fillings minus the tortilla. I like to serve mine over a bed of romaine lettuce as a way of cutting down on carbs, but you can serve it over rice.
Ingredients to make Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Breast I use boneless, skinless chicken breast in this recipe and cut it into pieces that are around the same size so that it cooks at the same time.
- Olive Oil Using olive oil adds moisture to the recipe and adds some additional flavor.
- Taco Seasoning Any brand of taco seasoning will work here, or you can make your own with just a few simple ingredients.
- Uncooked Rice I use basmati or any long-grain rice
- Garlic Cloves Fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic (1/2 teaspoon minced garlic for every garlic clove) can be used.
- Lime Juice Fresh lime juice is best, but you can use it from the bottle as well.
- Chicken Broth Using chicken broth will help you have more flavorful rice, which will absorb the flavor while cooking. Using chicken broth will help you have more flavorful rice, which will absorb the flavor while cooking.
- Water you will cook your rice in this to make it nice and tender.
When it comes to the toppings, you can add or remove them according to your preference if there is something on the list that you don’t want, or if there is something not on the list that you would like to add. The toppings are very diverse, so the list below is really just a guideline.
- Romaine Lettuce is the version I always have and I find it gives the burrito bowl a great texture.
- Black Beans I use canned black beans; you just need to make sure you drain and rinse them really well. You can swap out the beans for your favorite type of bean: kidney, pinto, black-eyed peas, or refried beans.
- Bell Pepper adds a nice crunch and sweetness and is full of great vitamins.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes I like the long oval shape so that you can easily cut them down the middle, but cherry tomatoes work too.
- Red Onion I like the flavor an onion brings to this bowl; you can use a red onion, a sweet onion, or a green onion.
- Avocados A ripe avocado will have a dark color and be slightly soft to the touch, and this is what you want in this recipe.
- Cheese I typically use a grated sharp cheddar or Colby jack; I like to grate it myself because I find the cheese that has been grated for you doesn’t have as much flavor but is a great shortcut.
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing This creamy, zesty, and slightly spicy sauce brings this whole bowl together. You can also use regular ranch dressing.
How to put your burrito bowl together
This recipe comes together in around 5-7 minutes after cooking the chicken. All you need to do is layer your bowl with your toppings for a quick dinner or lunch.
- The marinade I like to marinate my chicken in a small bowl with olive oil and taco seasoning. Whisk until combined.
- Cut Chicken and Season Cut your chicken breast into bite-size pieces or lengthwise; I like to cut them into the same size pieces so they cook evenly. Rub the marinade generously on both sides of the chicken; you can cook it right away or allow it to marinade for a few hours up to overnight.
- Cook place chicken in a large skillet over medium heat and cook for 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Rest Remove the chicken from the heat and set it aside to rest while you prepare the toppings.
- Assemble and divide your topping between your bowls. Slice or place your chicken in each bowl.
- Dressing To finish up your burrito bowl, drizzle with chipotle ranch or regular ranch and enjoy!
The Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup Basmati Rice or Long Grain Rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 15 oz chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 can black beans or pinto beans, black eyed peas, kidney beans or re-fried beans
- 1 cup bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup red onion or sweet onion or green onion
- 2 avocados pitted and diced
- 2 cups seasoned rice
- ½ cup cheese grated or shredded
- ranch dressing or chipotle dressing
- In a saucepan combine rice, garlic, 1 tsp. lime juice, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Pour lime juice over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil and taco seasoning. Whisk together until combined
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise down the middle if they are too thick or cut them into bite-sized pieces. This will help cook the chicken faster and more evenly. Rub the chicken breasts generously on both sides with the oil/seasoning mixture.
- Remove from heat and allow the chicken to sit while you prepare the bowls.
- Evenly divide the bowl ingredients between 4 bowls. Slice the chicken and add chicken between bowls.
- Drizzle with ranch and Enjoy!