This black bean soup is a healthy and delicious soup that is easy to make and can be easily made as a vegetarian option using vegetable stock. You can also turn this into an Instant Pot or slow cooker meal.
When I think of a comforting and healthy soup, this black bean soup is what comes to mind. You can use beans you have previously cooked or use canned beans; you can even make a large batch and freeze the soup for a quick lunch or dinner option. Even people who are unfamiliar with black beans or who dislike them will enjoy this soup.
Here are the reasons why I love this black bean soup:
- This nutritious soup, with the black beans being high in fiber, will keep you full for longer.
- All the ingredients are affordable if you don’t already have them available.
- It’s healthy and can easily become vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable broth.
- It keeps well and is even better the next day once the flavors have absorbed together. It will last in the fridge for three days.
- You can add different types of toppings to this soup to switch it up.
Ingredients for Black Bean Soup
- Olive Oil is used for sautéing the onions and garlic
- Onion Use a sweet onion for the sweet flavor.
- Garlic You cannot go wrong with minced garlic in any soup, whether it is freshly minced or prepared minced garlic.
- Diced Tomatoes You can use regular canned tomatoes, or if you can find fire-roasted, that will give you a slightly smoky flavor.
- Black Beans you will want to rinse and drain your black beans before adding them in.
- Broth You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth in this recipe, depending on whether you want a vegetarian or a chicken version.
- Green Chillies (optional) add the best flavor and a hint of spice.
- Corn adds the best flavor and a hint of spice.
- Seasoning and Spices A blend of cumin, oregano, coriander, and cayenne pepper adds an earthy, spicy flavor that complements the black beans perfectly. If you want it a little spicier, you can always add a few dashes more of the cayenne pepper.
- Lime juice Use freshly squeezed lime juice or juice from a container.
How to make Black Bean Soup
- Sauté Sweat the onions, carrots, and garlic until soft and sweet.
- Spices Add ground cumin, oregano, coriander, and cayenne pepper.
- Broth makes the broth using chicken stock and canned diced tomatoes (you can also use vegetable stock).
- Beans add black beans and cook until veggies are tender approx. 20 minutes.
- Season add salt and pepper to taste and a little lime juice.
- Avocado Slices
- Tortilla Chips
- Lime wedges
- Chopped Red Onion
- Cotija Cheese (or Feta Cheese)
- Chorizo crumbles
- Pickled Jalapenos
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does a Black bean Taste Like?
Black beans have a mild and subtle flavor. The textures are soft, creamy, and slightly chewy.
Are black beans good for weight loss?
Black beans are healthy because they have around 15 g of protein in 1 cup, and when you eat a high amount of protein, you stay fuller longer, which helps curb your cravings. If you want to learn more, check out this resource.
Hearty and Healthy Black Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 15 oz tomatoes diced
- 4 cans black beans 2 undrained and 2 drained and rinsed
- 30 oz chicken stock
- 1 can green chilies diced
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1-1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2-1 chili powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Toppings: Avocado, lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, cheese
- Add two cans of undrained black beans to a food processor and pulse until thickened. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot.
- Stir in onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, all of the black beans, broth, green chilies, corn, cumin coriander, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick add more broth. If you would like it thicker puree some of the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Take off the heat and stir in fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!