Indulge in the vibrant flavors of our delicious pesto chicken recipe. Tender chicken breasts smothered in a basil pesto sauce, topped with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. served with your choice of sides. “A perfect blend of freshness and savory goodness awaits you!
Pesto chicken with tomatoes is a culinary masterpiece that marries the vibrant flavors of fresh basil pesto, tender chicken, and ripe tomatoes into a harmonious and satisfying dish. This recipe is a celebration of simplicity and the joys of home-cooked meals. With its delightful combination of ingredients, it’s a versatile and irresistible choice that can transform a mundane dinner into a delightful feast. Whether you’re a seasoned home chef or a novice in the kitchen, this dish is sure to become a staple in your repertoire.
The star of this dish is the basil pesto, a green, aromatic sauce that exudes the essence of summer. Made from fresh basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, pesto is a culinary treasure that instantly elevates any meal. It imparts a burst of herbaceous flavor with a hint of nuttiness, creating a delightful contrast to the juicy, tender chicken breasts. When combined with the sweet and slightly tangy notes of ripe tomatoes, the result is a symphony of tastes that dance on your taste buds.
The beauty of this pesto chicken with tomatoes recipe lies not only in its delectable flavors but also in its simplicity. It’s a dish that doesn’t demand hours of preparation or complex techniques. With just a handful of ingredients and a straightforward cooking process, you can create a restaurant-quality meal in the comfort of your kitchen. Whether you’re cooking for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner, this dish is a delightful choice that will leave your family and guests impressed.
Table of Contents
Reasons to love pesto chicken
- Vibrant Flavor: Pesto chicken is bursting with vibrant, fresh flavors. The combination of basil pesto, with its aromatic herbs and nutty Parmesan, along with the juicy tomatoes, creates a symphony of taste that’s hard to resist.
- Versatility: Pesto chicken is incredibly versatile. It can be served over pasta, rice, quinoa, or as a standalone dish. You can also customize it with additional ingredients like roasted vegetables or a side salad.
- Quick and Easy: This dish is a go-to option for busy weeknights. It’s quick and easy to prepare, making it a perfect choice for a delicious and satisfying dinner without a lot of fuss.
- Homemade Goodness: Making your pesto chicken allows you to control the quality of ingredients and avoid preservatives found in store-bought sauces. It’s a wonderful way to savor a homemade, restaurant-quality meal.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Pesto chicken is a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re cooking for family or hosting a dinner party, it’s a dish that tends to receive universal acclaim.
Ingredients for Pesto Chicken
You will only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious made from scratch Pesto chicken, this is just the overview of ingredients. We can find the recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Fresh Chicken: I use boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Salt and Pepper: if you’re using a fine ground salt, I would use a little less or it might be a little too salty.
- Basil Pesto Sauce: Home-made or store-bought.
- Tomato: Sliced tomato, use a large or medium firm red tomato.
- Mozzarella: I used pizza cheese, marble cheese, or provolone all these work well.
How To Make Pesto Chicken
How to make the 4-ingredient pesto chicken? It’s a simple recipe and comes together quickly! I include the detailed instructions in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Step 1: is to bake the chicken breasts.
- Step 2: Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet with parchment or a liner. Top the chicken with your homemade or store-bought basil pesto and sliced tomato. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Step 3: Carefully take the chicken out of the oven. It should smell amazing right now with the smell of that basil pesto. Sprinkle with your cheese of choice and put it back into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Tips and Suggestions
- Quality Ingredients: Start with fresh, high-quality ingredients. Use ripe and flavorful tomatoes, fresh basil for the pesto, and good-quality chicken.
- Homemade Pesto: Consider making your pesto for the best flavor. It’s easy to prepare using fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Homemade pesto has a vibrant, authentic taste.
- Add Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Sun-dried tomatoes can add a sweet and tangy flavor to the dish. You can add them to the skillet with the chicken and cook for a few minutes to rehydrate them.
- Don’t Overcook: Be careful not to overcook the chicken, as it can become dry. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Pasta or Rice: Pesto tomato chicken pairs wonderfully with pasta, rice, or even a simple salad. The pasta or rice can soak up the delicious pesto and tomato sauce.
Remember that cooking times may vary based on your specific recipe and the size of the chicken breasts, so always check for doneness to avoid overcooking. Enjoy your delicious pesto tomato chicken!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make homemade pesto for my chicken dish?
To make homemade pesto, you’ll need fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Combine these ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until it forms a smooth sauce. Adjust the ingredients to your taste, and you have homemade pesto.
Can I use store-bought pesto for this recipe?
Yes, you can certainly use store-bought pesto for convenience. Many grocery stores offer a variety of pre-made pesto options that work well in pesto tomato chicken recipes.
What’s the best way to serve pesto tomato chicken?
Pesto tomato chicken is versatile and can be served with various side dishes. It pairs well with pasta, rice, or a simple salad. You can also garnish it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil for added flavor and a beautiful presentation.
4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken
- 1 food processor
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 3 tbsp Basil Pesto
- 2 tomatoes medium size
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated or sliced
- Smother chicken fillets in the pesto on all sides (about 2 tablespoons of pesto for each chicken breast, depending on your taste). Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F | 180°C. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- At 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and arrange the tomatoes around each fillet.
- Place the chicken back in the oven and cook a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Smother the chicken breasts with the mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. When I make it for my family, it disappears with my step girls. I always omit the tomatoes but they do really enjoy the pesto and cheese.
If you enjoyed this article please subscribe and share it with friends and family.